Sullenberger, the Hero We Need

From Gawker: “On 60 Minutes, Katie Couric kept asking Chesley Sullenberger whether his heroic flight was influenced by anything beside training: his gut, his terror, his God. No: “I was sure I could do it.”

“Swoon.

“If the Bush years were about winging it, Sullenberger is the refreshing antidote: Someone who knows how to do his job.

“And not just as a pilot. Sullenberger, somehow, can handle not only a water landing on the Hudson River but also being elevated from mere mortal to the walking embodiment of a nation’s hopes for itself. ... The pilot is fully aware of the projection that’s going on and is trying his best to handle it with grace.

“He’s already ensured himself a distinguished record in that regard, too.”

The last clip has this exchange:
Couric: You've been called a hero by a lot of people. How do you feel about that?

Sullenberger: I don’t feel comfortable embracing it, but I don’t want to deny it. I don’t want to diminish their thankful feeling toward me by telling them that they’re wrong. I’m beginning to understand why they might feel that way.

Couric: And why is that?

Sullenberger: Something about this episode has captured people’s imagination. I think they want good news. I think they want to feel hopeful again. And if I can help in that way, I will.
Captain Sullenberger lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY OCCASIONAL NEWSLETTER. CLICK HERE.
_____